Clio Logo
Sturgeon Bay Third Avenue Historic District Tour - Part 2
Item 16 of 21

  • Current building.
  • Source:

John Graef was a business associate of A.N. Wegener. Together, they operated a cigar rolling business located in the north half of the double commercial block (160-64 N. Third) directly west of this site. This single storefront commercial building appears to have been built in 1902 as an addition to this larger commercial block on the rear lot owned by John Grieson. It was linked to the larger building and the first story was used for a meat market. This two-story, painted brick, commercial building is quite well maintained and has one of the few intact, early storefronts within the District. The handsomely proportioned facade has a broad central window, at the second level, flanked by narrower ones - all three beneath a curved drip mold. It is crowned with an entablature of pressed metal which appears to be supported by implied pilasters which frame the second story. The storefront columns are of cast iron. This is one of the few relatively unaltered commercial structures within the District.1