Clio Logo
Sturgeon Bay Third Avenue Historic District Tour - Part 1
Item 9 of 20

  • Current building.
  • Source:
  • Source:

This double commercial block was used as a furniture store during the 1880s although it may have been constructed earlier than that. The second story is clad with large concrete blocks, or panels. This type of building material, which was manufactured in Sturgeon Bay by a Captain Kirtland in the years 1881 to 1882, may have been applied as a veneer to an earlier frame structure. An ornately detailed wood cornice, supported by scroll sawn brackets, remains. One side of the building housed a saloon while the other was a furniture store and undertaking establishment. Although both of the present storefronts have been substantially modified, this building is of architectural significance as the only example within the District of the application of this locally produced building material.1