Lincoln School #2, 609 South River Street (no longer standing)
Backstory and Context
The second structure on this property opened in 1919 and was used until the 1954-55 term ended when integration of all students was accomplished in the local school system (a process that actually began during the 1953-54 term). Lincoln’s last principal was Mrs. Kathryn Redmond assisted by teacher Miss Eula Scott. The original school structure was torn down in 1965 and replaced with Carthage's Vocational and Technical School.
Among the many graduates of Lincoln School was Kenneth O. Wofford (LHS Class of 1941, along with his future wife Willeta Brinker). Wofford served as a Tuskegee Airman with the United States Army Air Corps during World War II and then went on to become a colonel in the United States Air Force, also serving during the Korean and Vietnam wars. On his Library of Congress veterans oral history completed in 2006, Wofford gave his ethnicity as "60% Cherokee and Creek, 25% English and Irish, and 15% African (1)."
Report on the Ward School Situation in Carthage, Missouri. Carthage MO: Carthage Board of Education, 1916. Collection of Carthage Public Library.
VanGilder, Marvin. "Lincoln School Saga a Vital Factor in Carthage History." Carthage Evening Press. January, 18, 1988, page 5.
Wofford, Kenneth and Wofford, Kristenee. Library of Congress Veterans Oral History Interview, October 8, 2006. (1)
Lincoln School illustration from "Report on the Ward School Situation in Carthage, Missouri," Carthage MO: Carthage Board of Education, 1916. (Original in Carthage Public Library Collection.)
Photograph of Wofford from Powers Museum Collection.