Carthage Public Library, 612 South Garrison Avenue
Backstory and Context
Over the years numerous alterations have been made to the original structure. In 2003 with a need for more space, plans were submitted for a major expansion. An addition of 13,486 square feet was added to the north side of the original building. A ballot for a 3/16th cent tax was presented to the public and passed. The tax generated 2.5 million dollars that was paired with 2 million dollars raised from private donors. R. E. Smith Construction built the new addition and it opened May 29, 2007.
The 1905 library building that faces Seventh Street, still retains its original oak woodwork and a stained glass and plaster decorated dome over what was once the original check out counter. Now the area is used for displays of historic collections and the local history/reference section of the library.
To the east of the library is the E. L. Dale garden that hosts a sculpture of “Alice in Wonderland” by local artist Bill Snow. The garden grounds are neat and maintained by the Ozark Gateway Master Gardeners. Many other memorials are found throughout the garden area and a fountain at the eastern edge of the property has the names of many of the donors to the library's expansion project.
This entry was written by Duane Griffith, Missouri Southern State University Volunteer, Summer 2017.
Powers Museum Vertical Files: Carthage Public Library.
Vandergriff, Sue. Then and Now. Carthage MO: author, 2003.
Contemporary photographs of Library taken by Michele Hansford (all but first image taken in 2017-18).