Athens Soldiers and Sailors Monument
The Soldiers and Sailors Monument stands at the gateway of Ohio University
Backstory and Context
The monument was enhanced in 1907, with the addition of several cannons and a pile of cannonballs. During World War II, these items were selected to be part of a scrap metal drive with proceeds benefitting the United Service Organization. According to a story that ran on October 7, 1942, in the Ohio University Post: "In accordance with President (Franklin) Roosevelt's request, the former landmarks were turned over in the nationwide scrap metal campaign. Two cannons and approximately 50 cannonballs were sold to a local scrap dealer for $120.41. The money was turned over to the USO."
"Soldier Monument, Ohio University Commons, Athens, Ohio." (2016) In Ohio Civil War Central, Retrieved December 19, 2016, from Ohio Civil War Central: http://www.www.ohiocivilwarcentral.com/entry.php?rec=1650