Tusculum University Walking Tour
A walking tour of the historic Tusculum University campus, Tennessee's oldest institution of higher education, created by students of the Museum Studies program.
Named after the villa and academy of Marcus Tullius Cicero, Tusculum academy was founded in 1818 by father-and-son duo Samuel Doak and Samuel W. Doak. Along with classical and theological curriculum, the Doaks emphasized the principles of civic virtue outlined by Cicero, an emphasis which still persists at Tusculum University today. The replica academy building currently standing is a part of the Doak House Museum on the Tusculum University campus.
Featuring an impressive entryway with Ionic columns and an elaborate Greek entablature, the Tredway Building was erected in 1930 to house natural and physical science classes. The addition of such a building to the Tusculum campus reflected a growing diversity of studies available to students by the mid twentieth century. Today, the sciences have moved to the Ronald H. and Verna June Meen Center (2017), where they are joined by Tusculum's College of Medicine.
Thomas J. Garland Library is one of the structures within the Tusculum University National Historic District. It has served as the school's library since 1910, after Andrew Carnegie donated funding for the building. The library received a substantial addition in 2006 and is also home to the Tutoring Center, Counseling and ADA Services, Veterans Services, faculty offices for the Department of Civic Studies, and student classrooms.
The Arch and flagpole represent Tusculum's dedication and sacrifice during the First World War. The Arch was built in 1917 to demonstrate the school's patriotism. Five Tusculum students were killed in combat overseas and are remembered at the flagpole, which was rebuilt in their honor.
McCormick Hall was built in 1887 with a generous donation from Nettie Fowler-McCormick. It was the second brick building on campus and replaced "Old College" as the primary academic structure on campus. Today, over one hundred and thirty years later, McCormick Hall houses the Office of the President, the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Business Office, and the Office of Human Resources.
By the early 20th century, Tusculum recognized the need to accommodate it's growing population of female students. To meet that purpose, and with the financial assistance of Nettie Fowler-McCormick, Tusculum erected a new building in 1901. Designed by influential Chicago architect Louis Sullivan, Virginia Hall was the first women's dorm, home to the domestic science program, and eventually served as a campus dining hall. Today, Virginia is home to the Admissions Office, Registrar's Office, University Marketing, and the Department of English.
Built in 1965, Annie-Hogan Byrd is currently home to Tusculum Arts Outreach, the Office of Institutional Advancement, and the university's chapel. The building features a 700 seat auditorium where students and the community enjoy plays, concerts, and lectures. Those seeking the Behan Arena should locate the basement doors adjacent to the parking lot
Pioneer Park, home of the Greeneville Reds, was first opened in 2004. From 2004-2017, it was the home of the Greeneville Astros, a franchise in the Rookie-Level Appalachian League. In 2018, the Greeneville Reds replaced the Astros as Greeneville's Appalachian League team. Pioneer Park is also home field for the Tusculum Pioneers baseball team.
Combining the old gymnasium and the Simerly Student Union, this building is a hub of student activity. Inside one can find the Bookstore, an updated dining hall, several classrooms, Campus Safety, student programs, a U.S. Post Office, Chalmers Conference Center, Pioneer Arena, and the newly constructed Chick-Fil-A.
The first dormitory on Tusculum's campus, Craig Hall was completed in 1892. The new dorm was the second structure on campus funded through the philanthropy of Nettie-Fowler McCormick and it was named after her pastor, Reverend William Craig, DD. It was Craig who introduced the Tusculum alumni enrolled at McCormick Seminary to Mrs McCormick. In 1998, after extensive renovations, the residence hall was renamed to honor Stanley R. Welty, a Board of Trustees Chairman and benefactor of Tusculum.
The Old Oak, is over 100 feet tall and may be 300 years old. It has been a resident of the campus since before the University's founding. The oldest building on campus, Old College, sits adjacent to it and the annual Old Oak Festival draws upon the tree for its inspiration.
Built in 1841, Old College is the oldest academic building on campus. Curious students and the general public can find answers inside about Tusculum’s history from 1794 to the present. The building is home to the Museum Studies Program and The President Andrew Johnson Museum and Library