Built in Camden County
This Clio heritage trail was created by the Camden County History Alliance and shares the history of numerous Camden County landmarks.
The Battleship New Jersey Museum was developed to preserve the famous USS New Jersey at its permanent resting place in Camden, New Jersey. The Iowa-class battleship was introduced during World War II and also saw action in the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Lebanese Civil War. With a total of 19 battle and campaign stars, it is the most decorated battle ship in the U.S. Navy’s history. The New Jersey was decommissioned for the final time in 1991. In 2000 the ship was moved to Camden and converted into a floating museum. Today the ship remains open to the public and offers interactive tours, meeting spaces, educational programs, and overnight stays. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Walt Whitman House is a historical home and museum in Camden, New Jersey. The house was occupied by the famous poet Walt Whitman during the final years of his life, from 1884-1892; it was the only home he ever owned. Whitman is considered one of the greatest American poets of the nineteenth century, and is most notable for his work Leaves of Grass. In the years following his death many efforts were made to preserve the house as a monument to Whitman. The Walt Whitman Association was instrumental in purchasing and preserving the home, as well as gather Whitman’s personal possessions to furnish it. The house has since been restored to match its exact appearance when Walt Whitman lived in it. Today the home is operated as a museum by the New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry, and is open to the public for guided tours. It has been designated a New Jersey State Historic Site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Visit our baroque-style century-old church designed by renowned architect George I Lovatt, containing magnificent stained glass windows, Polish-inspired elements and nearly 100 relics, including one of St John Paul II.
Pomona Hall was the 'Big House' of an 18th-century plantation worked by African slaves and indentured European servants. The mansion was built in 1726 and presently is the home of the Camden County Historical Society. The society has restored the building to match its appearance during the American Revolution and operates a small regional history museum and archive in the building.
The Barclay Farmhouse, which sits on a 32-acre plot, is a living history museum that was built in 1816 by Quaker Joseph Thorn. A large portion of the once operating farm was sold to developers in the 1950s. However, a small section was retained by Helen Barclay and then sold to Cherry Hill Township in 1974. The township still owns and operates the farmstead to this day. The simple, Federal style farmhouse now sits among community garden plots, interpretive trails, and an apple orchard. Inside, the farmhouse features period furnishings, clothing and textiles and the farmstead hosts numerous special events throughout the year. The farmstead was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Indian King Tavern Museum’s more than 270 year-old historic building is New Jersey’s first state-owned historic site (1903). It’s where New Jersey completed the transition from colony to State passing laws revising election procedures, creating township governments, and setting up state courts. At the Indian King, the assembly passed measures imposing martial law, strengthening the militia, regulating a war economy, and providing emergency support to the Continental Army after its defeat at Brandywine.
Built in 1856, the Long-A-Coming Depot/Berlin Railroad Station is the oldest existing railroad station in New Jersey.
The Gabreil Daveis Tavern House was built in 1756 and served as an integral Gloucester Township community focal point for over a decade. It also served as a field hospital during the Revolutionary War and has been inhabited by both Revolutionary and Civil War veterans since. The Georgian style home now serves the community as a historic house museum, giving people a glimpse into the life of how a middle-class colonial family lived along the banks of Big Timber Creek. The Gabreil Daveis Tavern House has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1977.