Old Colony Historical Society
Located in the historic Bristol Academy building, the Old Colony Historical Society preserves the history of Southeastern Massachusetts, what was once known as the "Old Colony" (the area between Rehoboth and Provincetown, and Scituate and Dartmouth). The school was built in 1852 and closed in the early 1920s due to competition from public schools. The society, which was founded in 1853, opened it as a museum in 1926. The museum houses and displays many items including decorative arts, textiles, military and police items, silver and tools. The museum also has a library and archives, which specializes in the history before 1850. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places 1977.
The Old Colony Historical Society