Braddock Carnegie Library
Backstory and Context
Andrew Carnegie chose Braddock as the location for his first free public library due to the fact that the town was also home to his Edgar Thompson steel mill and he sought to provide his workers with a place of learning and recreation. Thus, his foundation donated $357,782 for the library's construction and he was there when it was dedicated in 1889.
After the library was abandoned and fell into disrepair in the mid-20th century, David Solomon, the last librarian, founded the Braddock's Field Historical Society to save the venerable building. To that end, they were able to purchase the building for $1 and began the long restoration process. The managed to re-open a single-room children's library in 1983 and the gym was restored during the 1990s. The original terracotta roof was restored in 1998 as were the interior walls of the music hall.
Work on the buildings is an ongoing process as work on the music hall continues, a new children's museum opened on the second floor in 2012, and most of the adult library now occupies the first floor.
"History of the Braddock Carnegie Library." Braddock Carnegie Library. Accessed November 10, 2016. http://www.braddockcarnegielibrary.org/history
Kadilak, Karen. "Renovations, Donations Sought at Braddock Carnegie Library." Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. January 31, 2016. Accessed November 10, 2016. http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/9752191-74/library-braddock-carnegie
"National Historic Landmark Nomination." National Park Service. March 2, 2012. Accessed November 10, 2016. https://www.nps.gov/nhl/find/statelists/pa/BraddockCarnegieLibrary.pdf