Clio Logo
Poplar Bluff Missouri History Tour
Item 1 of 6

This historic train station was built in 1910 by the St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railroad. This railroad became the first to reach Poplar Bluff in 1872 and connected the city to Little Rock and Cairo, Illinois. Today, the station continues to operate as an Amtrak stop with two trains arriving at the station daily.


  • Poplar Bluff station was built in 1910 and operates as an Amtrak station today.
The railroad had a great impact on the town, spurring its growth and development. Since it connected the town to major cities, it became an important shipping center for lumber and other wood products as well as wheat, cotton, and corn. The station was designed in the Colonial Revival style and has remained mostly unchanged. 

The station has been owned by the Missouri Pacific Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad, which in 2003 donated it to a non-profit group committed to saving the building. This local organization continues to maintain the building. 
"Poplar Bluff, MO (PBF)." The Great American Stations. Accessed November 22, 2018.  http://www.greatamericanstations.com/stations/poplar-bluff-mo-pbf.

Thomason, Philip. "St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railroad Depot." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. December 1, 1994.   https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/94001397.pdf.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons
0