St. Peter's Cathedral (Scranton, Pennsylvania)
St. Peter's as of 2009
Interior of Cathedral
1930-1945 colored postcard of St. Peter's. Courtesy of the Boston Public Library,Tichnor Brothers Postcard Collection
Backstory and Context
The original windows of the church contained simple red and white diamond-shaped panes. The beautiful stained glass windows now found in the cathedral date from the alterations begun in 1883. Much of this work can be attributed to the French architect Durang and later to the German designer Frank Mayer. In addition to the use of stained glass in the clerestory and over the entrances, there are 15 grandiose windows focusing on the Life of Christ and highlighting the Blessed Virgin Mary and other saints. Of special note are the windows depicting the Annunciation, the Visitation, the Nativity and the Last Supper
The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The present organ was built in 1979 by Casavant Freres of Quebec, Canada the firm's Opus 3414. In February 2008, the Cathedral was chosen by EWTN's "Cathedrals Across America" series to host the globally televised Mass for the Feast of the Chair of St. Peter.