Clio Logo
EKU x 100: A History of Eastern in 100 Objects, People, and Places
Item 28 of 50

Ellendale Hall, also known as Stateland Hall, was purchased in 1922 as part of the William Gibson farm. The farmhouse was transformed into a dormitory for student athletes and agriculture students. It was later turned into a counseling center before it was eventually torn down in 2000 to make room for the Whitlock Building. The house had a large staircase in the center of the entrance with wide woodwork going up the railing, and there was also a wrap-around porch. When EKU decided to demolish the building, there was a lot of criticism from alumni stating that Ellendale was part of the school's history.


  • Ellendale Hall in front of Todd and Dupree Halls, 1966. EKU Photograph Collection.
  • Front view of Ellendale, 1961. EKU Negative Collection.