Originally known as the Lower Burial Ground, it is located on land set aside in 1692 as a secular burial ground for residents of lower Germantown. It is estimated that more than 1000 persons are buried within its two acres, including many of the earliest settlers of Germantown and a number of prominent Philadelphians.
Backstory and Context
Today, the cemetery is a beautiful green oasis within an urban neighborhood. The monumental stone entranceway is a significant landmark on Germantown Avenue.