Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University
Backstory and Context
Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University was established in 1873. The University was initially called the State Normal School and University for the Education of the Colored Teachers and Students. The school underwent several name changes and focus areas through the years. In 1896 the school became the State Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes. In 1969, the school finally received its name as the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University.
AAMU began first as an undergraduate institution. In 1939, the State Board of Education allowed AAMU to offer graduate education. Today, the University contains five undergraduate schools as well as several graduate level degree programs.
In 1996 the newly appointed University President Dr. John T. Gibson authorized significant renovation to the campus. He led the construction of the West Campus Complex, Louis Crews Stadium, and the School of Engineering and Technology.