The C. M. Bishop Residence was built in 1872. The current configuration appears to indicate that there was a major addition at some time since the original construction.
What is presumed to be the additions are the front two story portico and
one story porch. The porch has rounded turrets at each end. The east one is
open, while the west one is an enclosed room. On October 5, 1899, a hot water
heating system was installed. On November 7 of the same year, Mr. Bishop
married Fanny Emma Brown. She insisted her home be called Mortimer Hall, as Mr.
Bishop's middle name was Mortimer.
Ward, Bryan. Kingwood Preservation Plan. Morgantown, WV. West Virginia University, 1997. This book was produced by the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, Institute for the History of Technology and Industrial Archaeology at West Virginia University for Main Street Kingwood. Printed in the United States of America Copyright 1997 Main Street Kingwood. All rights reserved. Cover illustration by Paul Boxley and cover photograph courtesy of W.G. (Bill) Williams. Main Street Kingwood, 101 East Main St., P.O. Box 357, Kingwood, WV 26537