Clio Logo
Historic Barboursville Walking Tour
Item 3 of 7
Old Toll House originally built along Guyan River below town of Barboursville in 1837

  • Old Toll House as it stands today on Main street.
  • Toll House in 1950 by Guyan River. Around the time it was moved into Barboursville. Courtesy of Marshall University Special Collections.
  • Old Toll House in 1970 in Barboursville. Courtesy of Marshall University Special Collections.
Built in 1837 of logs along the Guyan river below Barboursville, the toll house was primarily used by the James River Company to collect tolls from ferries traveling through the James River-Kanawha turnpike. In use until a bridge was built connecting both shores of the Guyan.

The toll house's fate was uncertain until 1950 when the house was deeded to the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). The DAR restored and moved the toll house to its present location along Main Street in Barboursville where they hold weekly meetings.

httpwwwrootswebancestrycomwvcccfhrphotooldhousejpg Historical Walking Tour of Barboursville West Virgina guidebook-compiled by Robert G. Hall and published by the Village of Barboursville. Rowsey, Jeanette M. "The Lost Village of Barboursville: Unsung and Vanishing History of the Best Little Village of West Virginia (1813-2013)". JRC Publishing, Barboursville, WV Gunter, Frances B. "Barboursville" 1999. Franklin Publishing, Huntington, WV Cabell-Wayne Historical Society of West Virginia. 630 1/2 7th Ave. Huntington, WV