The Ladies of Lisle Walking Tour
This short walking tour through the historic Village of Lisle highlights local history and architecture, as well as the "Ladies of Lisle" - the first women of New York State to vote on January 5th, 1918.
Built 1902. Initially the upstairs hall was used for dances and social events, and the downstairs for public meetings. Site of special local option election, January 5, 1918, when first votes were cast by women in New York State following passage of woman suffrage amendment. Early that morning Florence B. Chauncey became the first woman to vote in a political election in New York State. From 1945 to 1997 the building was home of the Lisle Fire Department. A second floor balcony was a prominent feature until its removal in 1990. Currently a private residence.
Built in 1842. This classic example of Greek Revival style displays a temple configuration consisting of a pediment supported by four square posts. Originally a law office and home to a medical and dental practice. From 1920 until 1998 it served as the Lisle Post Office and a gathering place for village news. Currently a private residence.
Built c1855. Home of Mrs. M.L. Sternburgh, one of the “Ladies of Lisle,” first women to vote in New York State, January 5, 1918. Currently a private residence.
Built c1855. Former home of school teacher Maud Burghardt, one of the "Ladies of LIsle" - first women to vote in New York State, January 5, 1918. The house displays Greek Revival elements, an Eastlake-style front porch with mansard configuration was removed in the 1980’s. Front and side porches were removed in the 1980’s.
Built c1860. This two story irregularly massed frame home is one of the more intact homes in the village. It was built by Hamilton Edwards, grandson of one of Lisle’s founders. Later, home of Richard and Anna Edwards, leaders of the Dry Party 1917-1918. Mr. Edwards was a minister and served as President/Mayor of Lisle for several years. The Edwards’ founded and operated the Happy Valley Home for Boys and Girls, 1919-1935. In 1942 the house was sold to the Lisle Christian Conference Center who owned it until 1974. Currently a private residence.
Built 1822 . One of the more intact structures in the area and a visual landmark of Lisle. This building is the oldest surviving religious structure in Broome County. A simple rectangular gable-roofed structure with a square steeple with louvered vent in the form of a pointed arch, and cornice with dentils. The structure maintains much of its original integrity, however it underwent major alterations on the interior after the flood of 1935 and storm of 1943. Since 1976 it has served as a private residence.
Built c1810-1830. This building is known as the Freeman Homestead after its first owner, S. Freeman, one of the original settlers of the village. It was built by S. Freeman or one of his children. It was at one time home of Reed Freeman, owner of the Binghamton Clothing Factory, site of a tragic fire in 1913. Later the house was part of the Happy Valley Homes and Lisle Congregational Conference Center. Despite the addition of the front porch, the building retains much of its original character. It is one of the best extant examples of the Greek Revival style in the village.
Built 1822. A 3-bay two story wood frame gabled house with Federal features, this is possibly the oldest surviving house in Lisle. From 1923 to 1946 it served as an eatery known as the Happy Valley Inn. Currently a private residence, the Stoddard House has survived as an excellent example of an early 19th century structure.
Built 1924. The only completely brick structure in the Village of Lisle. The first library was kept in the home of Andrew Squire. Later the Ladies’ Village Improvement Society maintained a library in the old Camp House, and still later in a home on Main Street near the railroad tracks. The present library was given to Lisle by Herbert Franklin in memory of his father Charles R. Franklin, in hopes that it would serve as “a repository for the collection and preservation of local historical data.” Mr. Franklin was the designer of the Franklin air-cooled automobile.
Built 1875. Originally built as a hotel known as the Mansion House, and later Hotel Dudley. During the 1917-1918 local option elections the hotel was owned by Orlando Burtis, who was instrumental in the Wet movement. Burtis’ challenge of the 1917 local option election resulted in a re-vote on the issue, January 5, 1918, which would be the first election to be held in New York State following passage of the women’s suffrage amendment.
Built 1860. The structure is actually two separate gabled buildings joined together with a common hallway, and visually integrated with false fronts. Originally only the west portion of the building existed and was home to the Lewis Case General Store. The eastern portion was originally a schoolhouse that stood nearby. In the late 1860’s the schoolhouse was moved and attached to the Lewis store. The false front was added to preserve visual integrity.
Built 1857. One of the largest structures in Lisle and with its bell tower, the structure is a visual as well as historic landmark. A major feature is the three-stage tower which rises from a plain base to a flush board second stage with pilasters and an entablature identical to that on the body of the church. Above this is a plain balustrade and an octagonal drum with engaged columnns. Fred O. Chauncey served as minister from 1916 to April, 1918. Chauncey’s wife Florence was active in the 1917-1918 Dry movement and was the first woman to cast a vote in New York State during the local option election, January 5, 1918. The building was damaged in the 1935 flood and later repaired. A violent wind storm in 1943 claimed the church’s original New England style steeple. In 1936 the church merged with the Lisle Congregational Church and in 1957 was incorporated as the Lisle Associated Church. The church closed in 2010. Currently it houses apartments.
Built 1860. Italianate style mid-19th century home built by Lisle physician Dr. Salphronius French for his daughter, Mary B. French. In 1918, along with the “Ladies of Lisle,” 84-year-old Mary French was one of the first women to vote in New York State. Currently it is the home of Mary French’s great nephew, owner of “French Distillers.”