Clio Logo
Downtown Lansing Michigan Walking Tour
Item 5 of 15

Built in 1913 after two years of construction, St. Mary Cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese in Lansing. Architect Edwyn Bowd designed it in the Gothic Revival style. It features 39 pictorial stained glass windows and its exterior is clad in Indiana limestone. The cathedral was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.


  • St. Mary Cathedral in Lansing, Michigan is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The church got its start shortly after Lansing was developed. A couple locations later, construction for the current building began in 1911. The initial church cost was $138,000. Multiple renovations and redecorations have taken place through the years, including the addition of the stained glass windows in the 1920s. In 2016, the parish celebrated 150 years of serving the Lansing community. 




"Our Church History." St. Mary Cathedral. Accessed March 14, 2017. http://www.stmarylansing.org/our-church-history.

Self Guided Tour Brochure. St. Mary Cathedral. Accessed March 14, 2017.  http://www.stmarylansing.org/documents/2015/3/SelfGuideTour%20Brochure%202013%2000256.pdf.

"Michigan Stained Glass Census." Michigan State University Museum. Accessed March 14, 2017. http://www.michiganstainedglass.org/collections/building.php?id=17-83-1E6.