Fort Loudoun Historical Site
Fort Loudoun was constructed in 1756 to serve as a defensive fortification against attacks from French forces and their Native American allies. The plans for the fort were drawn up by George Washington. Today, the fort is long gone, with only the well and the foundations of one of the barracks remaining. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2014.
Backstory and Context
The structure of the fort consisted of four bastions at each corner and barracks capable of housing four hundred and fifty soldiers. It was constructed with a combination of logs and earth. The fort was supplied with water from a one hundred foot deep well dug into the limestone beneath it. At the time of construction, Fort Loudoun was equipped with fourteen cannons: four 12-pound guns and ten 4-pound guns. However, the original plans called for twenty-four guns.
Fort Loudoun is now long gone. The foundations and the well are all that are left of the original fortifications. The 2 story house that sits at the center of the site was constructed in the 1850s. The French and Indian War Foundation intends to use this building as an information office about the site.
Fort Loudoun Historic Site. Old Town Winchester. http://oldtownwinchesterva.com/business-directory/attractions-museums/fort-loudoun-historic-site/.