First White House of the Confederacy
Backstory and Context
Confederate President Davis lived in this house from February 1861 until the end of May that same year. President Davis moved this home once the Confederate capitol was moved to Richmond Virginia. The house had several private owners over the years. Efforts to help preserve the house began in the late 1890s by United Daughters of the Confederacy. Some women from this organization established the White House Association to take up the cause to save the building. As a result of a variety of issues, this process to twenty years, during which time it became a boarding house and was not well maintained. The association was able to buy the home and have it moved several blocks to its current location. It opened to the public on June 3, 1921.
"History." First White House of the Confederacy. Accessed July 29, 2017. http://www.firstwhitehouse.org/history.