Orange Grove House of Refuge No. 3, 1876-1927
Now home to the Grosvenor House condominium, this was the location of the Orange Grove House of Refuge
This historic marker is located just south of the location of the former station, at the intersection of Atlantic and Ocean Blvd.
This map from Gray's Atlas Map of Florida shows the locations of the first five Houses of Refuges built by the federal government in 1876. Four additional houses were built ten years later.
Backstory and Context
Steven Andrews was hired as a permanent keeper and lived here with his wife Anne for nearly twenty years. The position likely caused tremendous loneliness, although the government allowed travelers and a handful of short-term boarders to rent space in the stations-both as a way to defray expenses and to provide extra help for the keepers. Andrews resigned the position in 1896 and the government closed the facility shortly after that time and rented it to some of the early settlers of Linton (later known as Delray Beach).
The former station remained a place of interest for residents and beach-goers until it was destroyed by fire in 1927. The area was excavated by high school students in the 1940s, and in 1968, the history of the Orange Grove House of Refuge was commemorated by a historic marker.