Clio Logo
Historical Tour of Bridgeport, the Park City
Item 2 of 9

This Craftsman-style building was originally built in 1911 as a synagogue for Congregation B'nai Israel (CBI), a community of German Jews. The former Orthodox congregation organized during the 1850s, making it one of the oldest in Connecticut. For over 50 years, the congregation did not have a permanent, designated synagogue, however, and members worshiped in homes and workplaces. The 1911 construction of this Park Avenue synagogue provided a stable religious and community space.


  • The Park Avenue temple once belonged to Congregation B'nai Israel, the oldest Jewish congregation in Bridgeport.
By the 1940s, CBI had outgrown this synagogue and moved to a second one, also on Park Avenue. Today, the original Park Avenue temple serves as a Baptist church, and CBI is a Reform Jewish synagogue that maintains an active community with hundreds of families in its new, larger location.
"B’nai Israel Synagogue (1911)." Historic Buildings of Connecticut. Accessed January 11, 2019. http://historicbuildingsct.com/bnai-israel-synagogue-1911/.