Towson State Lacrosse Field
In the late 1960s and early 1970s Towson State's lacrosse field was located where Towsontown Garage is now located. Towson has been the home of an exceptional lacrosse team ever since their first win in 1959 against Brown University. In 1973 Towson State's lacrosse team ended with a record of 13-1, and by 1974 they had won their first NCAA Division II Championship.
Backstory and Context
In addition to Towson State, there were nine other colleges and universities invited to this event. Between quarters and at halftime, girls powderpuff football teams from seven of those nine area colleges would play. This was very surprising during that time period because not many women would participate in athletics in the 1960s. In addition to powderpuff football games all of the colleges would come together for events such as bonfires, bull roasts, and refreshments.
This Marathon Football game was a success. The following year, Towson State officially fielded their first football team in 1969. Football became more than a sport at Towson. It brought together their campus by including African American athletes. It truly acted as a catalyst for the unification of Towson students throughout the 1960s and 1970s.