Albany City Hall
This Romanesque three-story building was completed in 1883. Albany's city hall is distinguished by a 200-foot tower that hosts a carillon--one of only a few cities that have both a carillon and a clock tower. This building replaced a previous city hall that was destroyed by fire in 1880.
In 1972, Albany's City Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
During the colonial era, Albany's original city hall was known as "Stadt Huys" --the Dutch term for a city hall. The name stuck even after the English took control of the area around Albany and Stadt Huys was the location of the 1754 Albany Congress where Benjamin Franklin proposed his plan to create a federal union of colonies under British authority.