Remnant of the Four Seasons Hotel
This section of all is all that remains of a large limestone wall that was part of the pleasure gardens surrounding the Four Seasons Hotel in 1892. The hotel, part of the American Association development of Alexander Arthur, was built to cater to the world's rich and famous.
Backstory and Context
The 700-room Four Seasons hotel opened on April 12, 1891, with a ball and banquet. The goal of the hotel was a part of Arthur's larger plan to make nearby Middlesboro, Kentucky, "the Pittsburgh of the South" - much like Middlesboro would mimic Middlesboro, England, Harrogate, Tennessee would mimic the spa town of Harrogate, England. However, after the Panic of 1893, the Four Seasons Hotel was dismantled and disappeared from the landscape, leaving only the 200-room Sanatorium. In 1897, the Trustees of Lincoln Memorial University Purchased the property and Sanatorium, later to become Grant-Lee Hall.
The comet. (Johnson City, Tenn.), 15 June 1893. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn89058128/1893-06-15/ed-1/seq-1/>
New-York tribune. (New York [N.Y.]), 28 Dec. 1892. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1892-12-28/ed-1/seq-8/>
Sweet, Natalie. Images of America: Harrogate and Cumberland Gap. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 2014.
Suppiger, Joseph E. Phoenix of the Mountains: The Story of Lincoln Memorial University. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University Press, 2001 (originally published in 1977).