Clio Logo
Lincoln Memorial University Historic Walking Tour
Item 14 of 20

In 1920, the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Hall was dedicated as a boys dormitory. The residence hall was a $25,000 gift of the Tennessee Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Over the years, it served as a residence hall, university classrooms, and the home to J. Frank White Academy. Today, it houses numerous university offices.


  • The front entrance to DAR Hall as it appeared in the 1920s.
  • DAR appears in the background of this photo taken in the mid-1940s. This was a game at the old Cooper Field (est. 1910), which in later years was known as Lamar Hennon Field (and was still a baseball field until 2017).
Hess, Earl. Lincoln Memorial University and the Shaping of Appalachia. Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee Press, 2011.

Page, Bonnie and Cindy Stephenson. Lincoln Memorial University (Memories and More). Harrogate, Tennessee: PrintOne, 2001.

Sweet, Natalie. Images of America: Harrogate and Cumberland Gap. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 2014. 

Suppiger, Joseph E. Phoenix of the Mountains: The Story of Lincoln Memorial University. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University Press, 2001 (originally published in 1977).