Virginia Estelle Randolph
Virginia Estelle Randolph's innovative teaching techniques at her school on Mountain Road became the model for African American education throughout the South early in the twentieth century. Henrico County currently operates the Academy at Virginia Randolph for academically challenged students and a museum at the Virginia Randolph Cottage.
Backstory and Context
In 1915 a new high school for African Americans, the Virginia Randolph County Training School, was constructed in Randolph's honor. In 1930 a larger brick building replaced the original school after a fire destroyed it. In 1924 a girls' dormitory opened, located on three acres purchased by Randolph next to the school, to provide housing for thirty female students. Randolph also took students into her own home. The 1930 census lists fourteen "adopted" sons and daughters, ranging in age from eleven to nineteen, living in her household.
Reprinted with permission of the Library of Virginia.