Platt Plow Works (former), 201 East Fifth Street (later Lanpher Auto Works)
Backstory and Context
Once Leggett and Platt left this structure at Fifth and Grant, various other manufacturers where located here several dealing with wagons and carriages. By 1905 the Lanpher Brothers Carriage Works moved in and for about ten years manufactured carriages, assembled Ford automobiles and made their own trucks and autos.
Later this location also became incorporated into the Smith Brothers Manufacturing Company complex of buildings from Grant to Howard Streets (See Clio entry for Smith Brothers Manufacturing). In 2000 when Leggett & Platt, Inc. purchased the Big Smith property, Leggett & Platt in fact bought back its original location of the C. D. Platt plow factory where bed springs, the initial product of the company, started production.
"C of C at L & P Plant." Carthage Evening Press, October 10, 1938, no page.
Hansford, Michele. Images of America: Carthage Missouri. Charleston SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2000.
Jasper County Fair Booklet. Carthage MO: Knell Fair, 1908. Collection of State Historical Society of Missouri.
Leggett & Platt Spring Bed and Mfg. Co. Carthage MO: Leggett and Platt Company, 1901. Collection of State Historical Society of Missouri.
Powers Museum Vertical Files.: Platt Plow, Leggett & Platt, Lanpher Auto.
Powers Museum Exhibit Label (based on corporate statement supplied to museum March 28, 2017, from Leggett & Platt, Inc.; source of quotes 1 & 2.
The Lanpher Motor Vehicles. Carthage MO: Lanpher Motor Buggy Co., no date (circa 1910). Collection of National Automotive History Collection, Detroit Public Library.
All historic views former Powers Museum exhibit images.
Sanborn Map illustration former Powers Museum exhibit image.
Leggett & Plat display photograph by Michele Hansford.
L & P ledger photograph by Michele Hansford. Ledger in Powers Museum Collection.