Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor Driving Tour - Fulton County
Featuring sites along Pennsylvania's Lincoln Highway in Fulton County, PA
Conococheague (pronounced Konica-Jig) Settlement is a well-preserved historic farmstead that was established in the early 18th century in southern Franklin County, Pennsylvania, near the village of Welsh Run. Our 30-acre site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and includes two historic house museums with outbuildings, a research library, two relocated historic log structures, walking trails with access to a pioneer cemetery, and several historic gardens. Conococheague is a Native American word often defined as, "long indeed, very long indeed" making reference to the winding Conococheague Creek that makes its way through the area.
Zion Union Cemetery of Mercersburg, Pennsylvania was created in 1876. Mercersburg itself contained a significant African-American population and was home to many freedmen. In their need to preserve the land for those who had passed, the local community purchased the three acres that would become what the cemetery is today. The cemetery serves as the final resting place for thirty-eight African-Americans that served their country in the Civil War. The soldiers in the cemetery represent many of the first African-American regiments in the state of Pennsylvania, and the cemetery also contains thirteen men from the famous 54th Massachusetts. The cemetery is still in use to this day by the local African-American community.
The Fulton House is a stone tavern built c. 1793 and located on Lincoln Way East in McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania. Originally known as the Union Hotel, the inn has boarded four governers and four presidents, and has been an important stop for travelers along the road it sits (first the Pennsylvania Road, and then the Lincoln Highway)A fire in 1944 destroyed much of the 18th centiry interior, but has been restored to much of its original condition. It also currently houses the offices of the Fulton County Historical Society.
The site of a historic 18th century road, Cowan's Gap State Park has experienced the American history of war, industry, and recreational history spanning from the 18th-21st centuries.
Burnt Cabins Gristmill, located in Burnt Cabins, Pennsylvania, includes a gristmill and house built in 1840. It is part of the Burnt Cabins Historic District. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, this site still produces quality flour at the historic gristmill
This is a reconstruction of historic Fort Loudoun. The original fort was built in 1756 during the French and Indian War to protect settlers and to stage troops and supplies for the western campaign. A tragic event occurred a short distance from here, as referenced in the book, "A Narrative of the Life of Mrs. Mary Jemison."