Upper West Side Manhattan 86th St. Subway Stop Historical Walking Tour Loop
Start and end near the 86th Street subway stop & walk to historic buildings & monuments between Columbus Ave. & Riverside Park.
The English Gothic-styled St. Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal Church was built in 1903 for a congregation that dates to 1871. The congregation grew out of the antagonisms between Low and High Church Episcopalians and was founded by Rev. Dr. Ferdinand Ewer, a devotee of the Anglo-Catholic movement. Prior to the construction of the new structure, the congregation held services in a couple of other churches, before moving to the new church when it was completed in October of 1902. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1903-1904, the Red House was built during a flurry of construction of apartment buildings in New York. Prior to that time, living in an apartment was seen as unsavory, but in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, apartment living came to be seen as a desirable and more affordable option than the city's rowhouses. The Red House was designed by the firm of Harde & Short and is one of the finest examples of upscale apartment buildings constructed in the early twentieth century. The apartment is a New York City Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Located on Riverside Drive at 89th Street, the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument stands in memory of the soldiers and sailors of the Union Army who served in the Civil War. The monument is 96 feet tall and is comprised of marble and granite. It was designed by brothers Charles W. and Arthur A. Stoughton, after they won a design competition hosted by a Commission Board of the New York State Legislature. The Stoughton brothers modeled their proposal after the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, located in Athens, Greece. The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument exemplifies the City Beautiful Movement of the early 20th century, when city planners were beautifying cities with monuments and parks to make them more attractive for their residents. New York Governor Theodore Roosevelt laid the first stone of the monument in January 1900, and it was completed by Memorial Day (celebrated as Decoration Day at the time) in 1902. The unveiling was celebrated with a Decoration Day ceremony, as a remembrance and dedication to those who served the Union Army. Since that opening ceremony a Decoration Day or Memorial Day ceremony is held at the monument each year. The Riverside Park Conservancy currently administers the annual ceremonies.
When it closed in 2007, the Claremont Stables was the last riding academy and public livery in Manhattan. The stable opened in 1892 and was the oldest continuously operating stable in the city when it closed. Over the course of its long life, the Claremont taught generations of riders and supplied horses for various cultural events and productions. The building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is now home to the Stephen Gaynor School.
Built in 1908, the Belnord Apartments were one of a number of luxury apartments constructed at the turn of the century. The apartments occupy an entire city block and surround a large, tree-lined courtyard. The building has a complicated history which includes a years-long rent strike. The Belnord is a New York City Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.