Benton County National Bank
Erected in 1906, the former Benton County National Bank building has been an important landmark in Bentonville. It operated as bank, was used as office space, and now houses the city's municipal court and council chambers. The bank played an integral role in the city's development in the early 29th century when the economy was primarily agrarian based. The building is also a striking example of Classical Revival architecture.
Backstory and Context
Benton County National Bank, which cost $5,700 to build, was one of the first banks established in the city. Many of its clientele were apple and fruit producers, as well as operators of storage and canning facilities. There were also many operators of cider plants and evaporators in the county. Workers employed in these facilities and farms were clients of the bank as well. The bank operated successfully until the Great Depression. It merged with another bank in 1930, but the new bank closed in December of that year. In 1934, the city bought the building and converted it to office space. The building became home to the city council and municipal court in the early 1980s.
The building was designed by architect Albert Oscar Clark, who moved to Arkansas from St. Louis, Missouri in 1904. Resembling a Roman temple, the building features a portico with polished marble columns topped by Corinthian capitals, a large pediment above the columns, and arched windows. Clark designed other buildings in the county including the Applegate Drugstore, the Bank of Rogers, and the Massey Hotel, which is located just down the street.
Takahashi, Ryoichi. "Benton County National Bank." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. September 1, 1983. https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/26141524/content/electronic-records/rg-079/NPS_AR/83001156.pdf.
Brandon Rush, via Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Benton_County_National_Bank.jpg