Parkville Missouri Walking Tour
This tour is a work in progress.
The Power Plant was constructed to furnish heat and electricity to Park College and residents of Parkville using coal brought in on the railroad and water from nearby Missouri River. The concept for the plant started in 1916 when it became difficult and expensive to haul coal up the hill to the college.
Building was home to Moon-Elliott Lumbar Company, the successor to Luthy and Co., a lumber dealer that came to Parkville in 1857. The company’s offices were in the building proper while a lumber yard was housed in the rear of the building. Wooden facade and porch were added to original brick front, which remains intact.
The structure originally housed the Platte County Gazette newspaper building. Founded in 1885 by J.P. Tucker. The Gazette weathered the 1993 flood and 1999 coal train incident. Due to the train accident and structural damage, the building was torn down.
The structure was erected in 1927 and provided services to local citizens as a filling (gas) station. The station furnished easy access for drivers on Main Street and FF Highway. Currently the structure is being renovated as a food establishment names Pirate Pete's.
The two structures Stone Canyon occupies were McKeever’s Drug Store and a small ice cream shop. Larger part of the structure is thought to have been built around 1880-1890. McKeever’s drug store was a focal point for the health of Parkville. The ice cream shop served as a meeting place for Parkville citizens. Currently its usage as an easily recognizable name-brand restaurant which keeps it as a center point in Parkville. Architectural Historic Surveys state building was also home to McKeon's Sundries. Early owner was Mr. Hauber.
The Cannery was created in the late 1800s and the Park Greenhouse was built in 1927. The campus cannery was used to grow and can tomatoes and peaches. The greenhouse was used by students as a work study program to grow crops and seasonal flowering plants to be sold in city markets.
First occupant of this building (c. 1830) was a grocery store. In 1911, the Farmer's Exchange Bank, owned by C.P. Breen, moved to this location. The first major remodeling of the building took place in 1928. During the 1940s, a restaurant was located in the eastern bay of the south facade storefront and an apartment was located on the second story. The bank, at its prime, boasted $50,000 capital and surplus and did business with farmers who utilized the railroad tracks in the area.
The original structure was constructed between 1927 and 1928. The initial purpose of the structure was Parkville's post office.
Currently Cool Vintage Watches. This business was visited by President Obama in 2014.
Erected with 111 Main in 1909. Operated as Park Pharmacy by Dr. Johnson Underwood. Currently houses The Middle, a shop selling local goods from Kansas City and the Midwest region, including t-shirts, candles, prints, etc.
Cool Vintage Watches is an extension of the structure at 105 Main. The offices of Level Builders, a general construction contractor, are located on the second floor.
Originally the N. Samuels Dry Goods Store (1890-1918). The Jacobson Brothers purchased the building in 1920 and remodeled the structure. In 1925, Etta Hobbs opened another dry goods store. During the late 1930s, the U.S. Postal Service expanded into the store. The structure is currently owned by Dave Williams and houses Finder's Keepers.
Farm House Collections specializes in Amish-made candles, soaps, lotions, and home décor. Was formerly St. Martin's Salon although the time of opening and closing is unknown.
Parkville Jewelers sells upscale jewelry store and specializes in clock and watch repair. Opened in 1998. Tinsley Relator, opening in 1938, provides real estate consultation and commercial properties.
SoMA (Synod of Mid-America) is a regional community organization consisting of six presbyteries, 427 congregations, and nearly 60,000 members. SoMA assists member presbyteries with educational support for new ministers, community resources, and executive leadership training for women and other minorities. The current structure was built circa 1880-1890. Fritz Kahm (first owner) was a Prussian immigrant who, at age nineteen, initially settled in St. Louis and eventually moved to Parkville. He operated a boot shop on the first floor while residing on the second floor with his family. Lond Randolph operated on the first floor, over forty years, "Super Cuts for Guys and Gals." Apartments were located on the second floor during those same years. In the early 1970s, Jan Gunn opened "Home Establishments." The second floor housed an attorney's office and a counseling center. In 1997, Gunn was awarded the State of Missouri Street Program Award for her preservation efforts regarding the building.
Documents indicate as location of J. Busch Market. Additional information notes that the adjacent location bears the same market and actually has the historic marker to verify this. The two buildings may have been combined to form a large marketplace. Records maintains second oldest building in Parkville. Current locale of Parkville Coffee, previously Nine Lives, an antique store. Visited by President Barrack Obama on July 30, 2014.
Parkville Artisan’s Studio is an artist’s studio, gallery, and merchant. Originally erected in 1909 by Bert Yerrington and Dr. Johnson Underwood. Served as Vawter's Grocery.
The Parkville Association seeks to preserve, maintain, and promote the historical context within Downtown Parkville. Car Counselors assists individuals to purchase vehicles. The building also occupies a certified emotionally focused therapist. Art4U aims to bring Ukraine, and other European art work along with local art work from the Kansas City area. Bert Yerrington may have been the constructor of of the building. The construction of the basement began in June of 1909 while superstructure of the building began later that year. The first occupant was Dr. Underwoood who operated Park Pharmacy. Dr. Underwood, with his daughters, also operated a local lunch counter next door at 109 Main Street. The building was later home to Main Street Collectables.
Chaos Boutique is a clothing and gift store. Erected in 1937, according the historical plaque and “A Walking Tour of Historic Parkville” pamphlet. T.F. Broadhurst built the structure and operated a grocery store until his death in 1942. His daughter, Frances, continued the business until 1951. It has also been a library, a bar, and a photo studio.
Hairs To You is a beauty salon located on the first floor which was awarded as "Best of the Northland" by the Liberty Tribune in 2014. Cafe Des Amis is an upscale French restaurant located on the second floor. The structure was erected in 1844 by twenty-two-year-old German immigrant Joachim Busch. The Busch Market occupied the first floor, while the family resided on the second floor. Frank Busch, between 1903 and 1915, leased the building. Commencing in 1915, the structure occupied numerous businesses, including a plumbing shop, the switchboard office, an appliance store, and Noland Furniture Company that also operated a funeral parlor. During the early 1900s, a female dentist had an office on the second floor. The Busch family continued leasing the building until 1973 when Jack Miller purchased the structure and operated "The Country Store." The building became vacant for a long period of time following the closure of "The Country Store." Proprietor Mary Ann Harvey operated "Cottonwood and Willows" (1989-1998) selling contemporary clothing and home gifts.
Peddler’s Wagon Quilt & Gift Shop is a business selling fabric and quilting supplies. Peddler’s Wagon has been in business since 1982.
Multi-unit building. Vapor Up occupies the main unit (Unit 8) on the southwest corner. Oasis Counseling & Enrichment occupies Unit 9, the only other unit that has visible signage. Other businesses include: Aviation Publications; Steven W Nelson, professional services; Ro-Mac Transportation, Inc., logistics; Revolution Arts Center, dance school (Unit 3); Essential Elements: Comprehensive College Planning (Unit 4); Producers Choice Inc, Insurance (Unit 5); Kathy Ayers Consulting, architecture, AND Jim McCall, COUNTRY Financial Representative, insurance (both, Unit 6); Wisdom 4 Life Coaching, LLC (Unit 7).
Currently unoccupied. Constructed in 1890, the building has hosted many businesses over the years, including Ringo Bros. Garage, Lon Linder's Garage, and Russell and James Gang Gun Shop.
Currently Sugar & Spice Catering & Party Rental. Erected in 1891, according to “A Walking Tour of Historical Parkville” pamphlet. Built for Captain F. Luthy by Thomas McAuslin. Operated as Parkville Telephone Exchange from 1903 to 1929, which served Parkville, Waldron, Farley, and other nearby small towns.
Built in 1941, the original business was the Leland Francis Funeral Home/Heritage Funeral Home.1 In 1950, when the Fire Protection Association of Parkville came up short of funds for a new fire truck, Leland Francis signed a financial note so that the truck could be purchased.2 The Francis family owned the building and business until 1986-1987. In 1996, Bill Carson purchased the building.3 The building is currently home to Meyers Funeral Chapel.