Grand Central Arcade
Constructed in 1890 and known as the Squire-Latimer Building for many years, this ornate brick building was the home of Seattle's Grand Central Hotel (1897-1933). Like many luxury hotels, the Grand Central did not outlast the lean years of the Great Depression. The building is now home to a two-story indoor retail area known as the Grand Central Arcade.
Backstory and Context
By the late 1960s, this and many other buildings throughout the Pioneer Square had fallen into disrepair and were in danger of being demolished. However, the building was saved when local developers decided to place a bet on urban re-development. Thanks to the conversion of a parking lot into Occidental Park, the building now faces one of the most beloved urban spaces in the city and is home to a popular local bakery and numerous other shops.