Clio Logo
Heart of San Francisco Walking Tour
Item 10 of 16

Little is known about the original owner of this historic home, Frederick D. Stadtmuller, beyond his fortune which was made in the Nevada mining industry before he moved to San Francisco around 1879. Stadtmuller didn't mine for precious metal, his fortune came from selling goods and equipment to the miners. This home was constructed shortly after his arrival in the city and was designed by architect P. R. Schmidt. The house stayed in the family until the mid-1900s when it was converted into a boarding house. After a decade or so the property was converted back into a family residence and remains a private home to this day.

San Francisco Landmark #35 Stadtmuller House. Noe Hill. Accessed May 07, 2017.