Mt. Calvary Baptist Church
Organized in March 1926 in the home of Fess and Flora Young, a small group of members adopted the name Mount Calvary and initially held services in other church buildings. The new Mount Calvary Baptist Church was completed in February 1928 and cost approximately $4,000. The structure exists on Carolina Avenue in the Freedmon community of East Shelby. Carolina Avenue was at one time one of the epicenters of the African American community.
Backstory and Context
Organized in March 1926 in the home of Fess and Flora Young, the first meeting of Mt. Calvary Baptist Church was presided over by G.E. Hogue, moderator of the Gold Hill Association. Rev. Hogue read the covenant and articles of faith, and declared the church properly organized. Mr. Fess Young motioned to name the church Mount Calvary, and the name was adopted.
Initially, the church held services in other church buildings. The new church building was completed in February 1928 and the first service was held on the third Sunday of that month. The cost of the church building, including land and furnishings, was approximately $4,000.
Written by Chavis Gash