The Stringer and Weston Flour Mill
Backstory and Context
The local mill, established in 1817 by town father Daniel Stringer, had many different owners and names during its century of operations. As well as a grist mill, it also sawed logs into lumber. Fires and floods plagued it, and, when there weren’t floods, often there were droughts. Several times the river came close to drying up in late summer, just when grain was being harvested and the mill was most needed. To solve that problem, steam power was substituted for the water wheel in the 1840s. The old mill, in its last reincarnation, was demolished in April 1921. Traces of the original stone milldam, beginning to fall away in 1919 and finally washed out in 1923, can still be seen a short distance upstream from the footbridge now crossing the river.
Today the building is being re-envisioned as the "The Weston Town Hub" which will include a local craft beer tap room, butcher shop, book store and coffee shop. With apartments on the upper levels of the building.
Smith, E. C. (2010). History of lewis county, west virginia. Place of publication not identified: Nabu Press.
Gilchrist-Stalnaker, J., & Oldaker, B. R. (2010). Lewis County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub.