Patrick J. Dyer replaced his destroyed frame hotel and Shadyside Saloon with the current brick structure, at 144 Main Avenue at the corner of Bank Alley and Main Ave.
Backstory and Context
In 1890, in the wake of a huge business section fire on November 5, 1889 centered on the east side of Main Avenue and its intersection with Bank Street, Patrick J. Dyer replaced his destroyed frame hotel and Shadyside Saloon with a new, brick structure, at 144 Main Avenue. He called it The Phoenix, referencing the mythical bird burned in a fire that arose from the ashes, recreated. Three years later, in 1893, he erected on the northeast corner of Main and Bank (140 Main) a second building adjacent to the 1890 structure. Dyer’s intention was to make it the tallest building in Weston, with five complete stories. He ran out of money, however, and was forced to reduce the area of the upper floor to a small, square turret.
Smith, E. C. (2010). History of lewis county, west virginia. Place of publication not identified: Nabu Press.
Gilchrist-Stalnaker, J., & Oldaker, B. R. (2010). Lewis County. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub.