Kensington Service Center
Backstory and Context
This parcel of land was purchased by Howard L Derrick in 1924 and the gas station was built two years later, along with an adjacent Ford Dealership on the corner of what was then Howard Avenue and Connecticut Avenue (Connecticut Avenue was rerouted across the railroad bridge later and the old block was renamed Armory Avenue). In 1929, Derrick moved his dealership and constructed a new gas station at his estate in Ashton, and sold the gas station to Standard Oil of New Jersey. In 1940, the gas station was listed as Moores Esso. Currently, with a garage for mechanical repairs, the service station is operated by Mario Bruno as an independent gas station. The gas station represented a larger phenomenon of the 1920s and 1930s gas stations that built America's heavily car-centric culture.
Memorandum, "Maryland Historical Trust State Historic Trusts Form, M: 31-15," n.d., accessed January 1, 2021, https://mht.maryland.gov/secure/medusa/PDF/Montgomery/M;%2031-15.pdf