Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse
U.S. Federal Building and Courthouse circa 1974
Backstory and Context
This Federal Courthouse was built in 1911, though its construction period is from 1909 to 1911. On June 30th, 1906, $40,000 was allocated for the purchase of a site for a new U.S. Courthouse and Post Office. In June of 1907, a plot of land was acquired and additional funds were set aside for the building. In 1910 an additional $25,000 was appropriated for the project and in 1911 the building was completed with a total cost of $85,000. Underneath the guidance and supervision of James Knox Taylor, government architects designed the building in the popular Classical Revival style that dominated federal buildings at that time.
In its later history, the building received a one-story addition to the rear of the building in 1952, featuring a Post-War Modernist style. The Federal Building would continue to serve as a Courthouse and Post Office until the new Dothan Post office was constructed in 1964. Eventually, the building was added to the National Record of Historic Places on December 31st, 1974, and had a historical marker installed on the building in the same year.
Federal Building/U.S. Courthouse, Dothan, AL, U.S. General Services Administration. August 13th 2017. Accessed November 23rd 2020. https://www.gsa.gov/historic-buildings/federal-buildingus-courthouse-dothan-al#significance.
Floyd, W. Warner. Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, National Register of Historic Places. December 31st 1974. Accessed November 23rd 2020. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail?assetID=45ed8d95-5b1c-40c4-91a4-1dee4ff055a1.
Tidwell, Sandra Hughes. Federal Building, Historical Marker Database. October 17th 2011. Accessed November 23rd 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=83781.
Photo taken by Tex MiddleBrooks. Image sourced from: https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/AssetDetail?assetID=45ed8d95-5b1c-40c4-91a4-1dee4ff055a1