Where We Played: Historical Entertainment Venues of Rochester, Michigan
This tour visits the buildings that once housed Rochester's entertainment venues. The Avon Township Hall was an early location of social events, until Palmer's Palace Rink opened on Main Street in 1885. Soon after came the Rochester Opera House, which hosted a wide variety of vaudeville acts, local productions, concerts, and lectures. The turn of the twentieth century saw movies on Main Street, first at the St. James Casino and then at the Idle Hour and Avon theaters. Rochester's last downtown venue was the Hills Theatre, which operated from 1941 to 1984.