Frank H. Burr Block
Frank H. Burr Block, west elevation, 2020
Frank H. Burr Block, west elevation of southern storefront, 2020
Frank H. Burr Block, west elevation, cornice and brick detail, 2020
Backstory and Context
Merchant Frank H. Burr built this two-store business block in 1890, directly adjacent to the Opera House block, which his brother, Charles A. Burr, was building next door on the corner. Both the Charles A. Burr and Frank H. Burr blocks were built at the same time during the summer of 1890 by a local builder, Jefferson W. Eastman, creating a suite of four new, brick storefronts on the southeast corner of Fourth and Main streets.
Frank Burr's block comprised the addresses of 336 and 334 S. Main. Burr was a hardware merchant, and his hardware store was the first occupant of 336 S. Main. Following Burr, several other hardware stores occupied the space in succession, including those of Howard J. Winans, H. L. Wood, McCreedy & Myers, M. L. McNiel, and Fink Brothers. Later occupants included the C.F. Smith grocery, the Jack A. Mason Post VFW Hall, Rochester Home Laundry, Gamble's, Shaw Appliance, Rochester Refrigeration, Rochester Kitchens, Robert R. Rose Jewelers and J. Powrie Jewelers. In 2013, 336 S. Main became the home of Dessert Oasis Coffee Roasters.
The storefront at 334 S. Main was the barber shop of George H. Becker from approximately 1906 until Becker's retirement in 1944. Sisters Lucy and Anna Shoemaker had a dressmaking shop upstairs. Don Dorland took over the barber shop at that time. In 1950, the store became the location of a bakery called the Pastry Shoppe, operated by Don MacInnes and Harold Bebout. In recent decades, 334 S. Main has been a restaurant space, occupied in the 1970s and 1980s by Minchella's Tower of Pizza, then by Tower Pizza, Blackbird Bistro, and most recently, Bologna Via Cucina.
"J.W. Eastman has received the contract for building the brick stores of F.H. and C.A. Burr and T.W. Hacker," Rochester Era, April 4, 1890.
"Rochester, Sept. 24, '90: Frank Burr is arranging to move into his new store," Rochester Letter in the Utica Sentinel, October 4, 1890.
"F. H. Burr has moved his stock of hardware into his store in the Burr block ," Pontiac Gazette, October 10, 1890, p.4.
"Rochester, Sept. 30: F. H. Burr is doing business in his new store," Rochester Letter in the Utica Sentinel, October 4, 1890.
"H.L. Wood & Son, of Ithica [sic], have purchased the Winans hardware stock...," Rochester Era, February 5, 1904.
"McCreedy & Myers have taken over the hardware stock of Wood & Son,,," Rochester Era, January 29, 1909, p.5.
"New Bakery Scores Big Hit [grand opening of Pastry Shoppe]," Rochester Clarion, September 14, 1950, p.1.
"Merchant Ends Life With Bullet," Detroit Free Press, March 30, 1924, p.5.
"Don Dorland Takes Over Becker's Old Barber Shop Stand," Rochester Era, January 4, 1944, p.1.
"Smith Store Closes," Rochester Era, October 31, 1941, p.1.
"Jack A. Mason Veterans Setting Up House to Enforce GI Bill of Rights for Boys: Take Lease on Old C.F. Smith Store to Establish Their Offices," Rochester Era, August 24, 1944, p.1.
"New Home Laundry Opens Here Soon," Rochester Era, December 6, 1945, p.12.
"New Gamble Store Opens," Rochester Era, December 18, 1947, p.1.