United States Post Office and Courthouse
Backstory and Context
Between 1867 and 1876, the area where the United States Post Office and Courthouse is located now used to be part of the town's circus grounds. In 1876, the Albany Hebrew Congregation bought the property and apparently owned it until around 1910. That year, construction of the post office and courthouse began and was completed two years later. Congressman J.M. Criggs led the effort to appropriate funds for the project.
The building is also historically significant in women's history. In 1910, a woman named Nellie Brimberry became the first woman postmaster of a major post office. Her husband, who was postmaster, died in January of that year and President Taft appointed her to replace her late husband. She is also notable for inaugurating the first airmail flight and led the effort to enable pecan growers to seal pecans in packages suitable for mail delivery, which boosted Georgia's young pecan industry and won her wide acclaim around the country.
The building did not become the seat of a federal court until 1923 but has symbolized the federal government's presence and authority in Albany for over a century. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 for its architecture, its association with the federal government, and its role in local history, in particular its association with Nellie Brimberry.
Lamb, Deni & the Thronateeska Heritage Foundation. "United States Post Office and Courthouse." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. June 22, 1979. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/79003105_text
Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:U.S._Post_Office_and_Courthouse,_Albany.JPG