Clio Logo
Highlights of Hattiesburg Mississippi Walking Tour
Item 3 of 7
Built with federal support during the Great Depression, Hattiesburg's historic post office remains an impressive example of Art Deco architecture. Constructed in 1934, the building serves as a reminder of the federal government's support in the region as it was constructed using funds from the Public Works Administration, which helped construct numerous public buildings around the country during the Great Depression. The post office, which was designed by Juan G. Landry and Rathbone Depuys, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

  • Building, Architecture, Flag, Facade

The building features a number of interesting elements including a main entrance consisting of three large doorway openings. Each features decorative metal grillwork above, carved stone panels, and a three-sided overhang. Beside the a wide flight of steps leading up to the the doorways are two large pylons with decorative carvings of eagles. Inside, the building features a large lobby area with a polychrome marble floor, cast metal panels set into walls, a stenciled ceiling design, and other decorative elements. The post office was one of 32 such buildings erected in Mississippi with funds from the Works Progress Administration. Its Art Deco design gives it a "sculptural" appearance.

Fazio, Michael W. & Parrish, Wiliam E. "U.S. Post Office." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. April 21, 1983. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/77a57cb9-ea06-4563-ab8f-2c8e24b42645.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HattiesburgMississippiPostOffice.jpg