Model Practice School (Rosenwald School)
Built with the assistance of Sears Roebuck president Julius Rosenwald's school-building fund in 1921-22, the Model Practice School served local African-American children who were taught, in part, by teachers in training at the Normal School. Previously located along Parkview (then Southern) Avenue, it was moved in 1957 to its current site. It functioned as a practice school until the 1940s and has since housed the school laundry, a laboratory kindergarten, a cosmetology program, and most recently the ECSU ROTC Viking Battalion.
Backstory and Context
The Elizabeth City State Normal School's Model Practice School is a three-teacher type Rosenwald School, built in a Craftsman Bungalow style. Its construction cost $6,8000, including $1,000 from the Julius Rosenwald Fund. The Rosenwald Fund helped fund more than 5000 schools in the American South.
Thomas W. Hanchett, "The Rosenwald Schools and Black Education in North Carolina," North Carolina Historical Review LXV, no.4(October 1988), 387–444. http://www.historysouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Rosenwald_Schools_NC.pdf