Clio Logo
Farmington Freedom Trail
Item 8 of 10
Originally built in 1816, the building now known as Union Hall was originally a grammar school operated by the First Church of Christ of Farmington. Since that time, it has served as a meeting place (namely abolitionist and anti-abolitionist meetings), town hall, local library, and recently, housed the Art Guild of Farmington. Today it is a private residence.

  • Union Hall, also known as Farmington Academy, now exists as a private residence.

The Farmington Academy was formed in 1816, after local parents and church members saw a need for a grammar school in the town of Farmington. The Academy offered math, grammar, geography, Latin, and Greek courses and taught both boys and girls. Headmaster Simeon Hart, a Yale graduate, is credited with much of the school's popularity and success. By the late 1820s, school enrollment had nearly doubled that of its inaugural year, and students from out of state had begun boarding with local families to attend. Hart left the school in 1835 in order to start a boys' boarding school, and thought the Academy remained open for another 15 years, its success and enrollment numbers faltered. The school closed in 1850.

During the abolitionist movement, Union Hall was used by both abolitionists and anti-abolitionists to hold their meetings. For this reason, Union Hall is included on the Farmington Freedom Trail.

Church Street Farmington Academy, Farmington Libraries. Accessed October 15th 2020.

Farmington Freedom Trail, Farmington, CT. Accessed October 15th 2020.

Image Sources(Click to expand)