First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church was built in 1892 and is historically significant as the oldest extant church in Paris and for its architecture. Designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the most prominent feature of the church is its tall, four-story tower with round-head vents and bracketed cornice. Other interesting features include arched stained glass windows, a gabled entry porch, and a small cupola on the roof.
Backstory and Context
Rev. John Anderson established the congregation in 1861 and it was originally called Old Presbyterian Church. Members first worshipped in the Odd Fellows seminary and a store building before building their first church in 1874. The architecture firm L.B. Volk and Son designed it and it was built with stone and red brick. The stained glass windows were crafted in Belgium and the church layout is in a cruciform shape. Inside, the ceiling is vaulted and the pews, pulpit, organ, and communion table are original. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1968 primarily for its architecture.
"First Presbyterian Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. October 26, 1988. https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/40969819/content/electronic-records/rg-079/NPS_TX/88001913.pdf.
"First Presbyterian Church." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed October 19, 2020. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=128282.
Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:First_Presbyterian_Church_Paris.jpg.