Backstory and Context
The sister cities of Ceredo-Kenova have enjoyed Little League Baseball since it first came to the towns in 1953. A new area to play the games was needed after the 1954 season was over. In order to keep the games going, the league’s very first president, Floyd Stark, offered a lot of land to be used. He and a large group of other Little League fans set out to create a new ballpark on the donated land. The construction of the park began and a man named Elmer Mitchell offered his time and effort to help maintain and run the ballpark.
Elmer Mitchell was the pride and joy of the ballpark and became known as “Big Mitch” to the ballpark patrons. He provided his services to the stadium for 27 years straight without falter. He ran the press box, served as the grounds keeper, and even was the concession stand operator. “Big Mitch” truly was a big part of the Little League community spending the majority of his time devoting himself to prosperity of the stadium. His effort was repaid when in 1975 Elmer Mitchell was honoured as the facility’s namesake. The ballpark was named the Mitch Stadium in recognition of all of his endeavors for the park. He would continue offering his services up until his passing in 1981.