Clio Logo
Virtual Tour of Corpus Christi's Heritage Park
Item 9 of 9
Simon Gegunheim, a successful merchant and philanthropist, built this house sometime around 1900. Most Victorian-era homes built in the Queen Anne architectural style were destroyed in the hurricane of 1919, marking the Gugenheim House as a staple of Corpus Christi's "Old Town." The house was built on a corner lot, as evidenced by the off-center doorway.

The off-center front door of the Simon Gugenheim House

The off-center front door of the Simon Gugenheim House

Simon Gugenheim, a Texas native, moved to the Corpus Christi area in 1882. Some time later, he and a business partner established a dry goods company, Gugenheim and Cohn Dry Goods. Gugenheim married in 1891, and enjoyed successful petroleum investments. He built the Simon Gugenheim House sometime around 1900; it was originally located on a corner lot at 1101 North Chaparral Street, but was moved in 1926 to 1615 North Chaparral, in the middle of a block. The house was, however, designed for a corner lot, as one can see from the off-set front door. In 1977, the local Junior League moved the house again, to another corner lot.

Gugenheim, Simon, House - Corpus Christi, Texas, Waymarking. Accessed October 7th 2020.

Simon Gugenheim House, County of Nueces. Accessed October 7th 2020.

Texas SP Gugenheim, Simon, House, National Archives Catalogue. Accessed October 7th 2020.

Image Sources(Click to expand)