Historic Greenwich, NJ
Visit historic Greenwich with this afternoon walking tour!
Located near the Nicholas Gibbon House, the John Dubois Maritime Museum is home to a collection of 19th and 20th century maritime-related items. On display are a number of builders' models that show the plans used to build a new ship from the model itself. Also exhibited are tools used to carve ribs, planking, masts, and booms. The building itself was originally constructed in 1852 as a Presbyterian church.
Constructed in 1730, this colonial-era home is open to the public as a New Jersey history museum filled with traditional 18th and 19th-century decor. The museum includes a variety of exhibits that interpret life in the colonial era and also offers a small gift shop. The museum is located new several other sites of interest, such as the Swedish Granary, the 1930 Red Barn Museum, and the 1852 John Dubois Maritime Museum.
Located behind the Cumberland County Historical Society's headquarters, which also serves as the home to the Gibbon House Museum, this Greenwich landmark is believed to be the last surviving 17th century Swedish Granary in the United States. Built in the mid-17th century, the structure was moved to its current location in 1975. Originally, the building served to store grain or animal feed-- a precursor to today's silos.
The Cumberland County Museum of Prehistory is dedicated to preserving the history of the Native Americans who inhabited the lower Delaware Valley. Included in the museum's exhibits are stone and bone artifacts, pottery, and Native crafts. A large number of fossils originally discovered in New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia are also on display in the museum.
On this site on December 22, 1774, a group of young men burned a consignment of tea that had been hidden in the small town of Greenwich prior to shipment to Philadelphia. This was the last "tea party" protest against British taxation in the American colonies prior to the beginning of the American Revolution. The monument in honor of the leaders of this incendiary protest was dedicated in 1908.