Clio Logo
Alliance's Freedom Trail Walk
Item 7 of 14
The intersection of Prospect Street and N. Mechanic Avenue has been an active part of downtown Alliance's business history throughout the 20th century and remains so today. The southwest block has been home to a Presbyterian Church, service garages, a skating rink, and the armory for Company K of the Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Today, Kale's Auto Repair Service continues to service automobile customers as it has since 1996. On the northeast block, the King Bee Milling Company, operated by J. C. Henschen, was located here during the 1920s and 1930s. In later years, McKandy's Phillips 66 station was also located here. The service station is now the office for US Coach.

  • King Bee Milling Company located on the northwest corner of East Prospect Street and North Mechanic Avenue
  • fNorthwest corner of Prospect & Mechanic in the 1950s, showing the feed mill on the left, Tanner's Cheese House on right, McKandy's Oil.

The site of Kale’s Auto Repair Service (K.A.R.S.) at 157 Prospect Street has had many uses over the years. In 1858, a frame structure was dedicated here by the Presbyterian Church. This site has also been used as a public auditorium, a skating rink, and the armory for Co. K of the 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. The present building dates from 1924, when it was built for the Alliance Buick Co.

In the 1920s and 1930s, the King Bee Milling Company was located on the northwest corner of this intersection. It was operated by J. C. Henschen. The Milling Company building is often visible in old photos of the downtown area. They ground feed and milled flour for bread, cakes, and pastries.

McKandy’s Oil, a Phillips 66 service station was also located here. The service station building now serves as an office for Buddy Bolog’s US Coach bus business.

Bara, Craig. Crist, Lyle. Alliance. Images of America. Charleston, SC. Arcadia Publishing, 1998.

Image Sources(Click to expand)

https://www.alliancememory.org/digital/collection/places/id/927/rec/1

https://www.alliancememory.org/digital/collection/places/id/982/rec/1